• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FiftyFive
    Dean Spanos is a traitor!
    • Dec 2014
    • Send PM

Originally posted by obvious_idiot_bolt View Post
    He may pay to get into the exclusive club of owners, but the new owner may have no choice but to move to make it work.
    If Chris Paul trade doesn't happen, or better yet, the NBA didn't step in and kill the CP3 deal to the Lakers in the first place, would Ballmer have kept the Clippers in LA, or would he be trying to Bennett his way to another market, like back to Seattle for example? I'm not convinced now that when they don't win with their current line-up and the bandwagon begins to dwindle or die if they blow it up, he won't explore other options like SEA or ANA. This situation could be similar, only there's a Rams already taking up some fan space in addition to the regional lore of the terds. So for a new Chargers owner, he buys no fanbase in LA, has to be a tenant bitchboy in LA like the Spanii. I don't see how that works in the long term.
    Word is that Ballmer is working on getting a new arena built in LA for the Clippers. It's also supposed to tie in to LA's Olympic bid. He's not moving them out of LA.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Spanos is so stubborn he'd set himself on fire before he sold.
      I might supply the gas cans.

Same could have been said of Sterling. I see a lot of parallels, quite frankly. And we know how that turned out.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

Same could have been said of Sterling. I see a lot of parallels, quite frankly. And we know how that turned out.
        But I don't see Spanos going off on a racist rant or anything like that. They can't force him to sell if he doesn't want to, and if he ever gets backed into a corner financially and has to sell to survive, whoever buys it will not leave LA for San Diego after paying over $1B.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          Look at the history under the Spanos family. 10 winning seasons in 30+ years.

They don't care about winning and that's why they don't spend money outside of what they have to and cut corners at every possible instance. They just care about the bottom line and that's not going to cut in LA.
          I feel confident they will do all the things they never did in SD to establish a beachhead in LA. Here's the problem, though: they have no feel for their fanbase. They have tin ears. They're morons. They'll fuck it up, no matter what they spend. 4 logos and StubHub are tip of the iceberg. This will end badly for them and I will laugh. Sucks for the players though. Sucks for us.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            Took em that long to win lol.
            Took them that long to try.

Also took them that long to have any luck whatsoever.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
              T
              The best thing that can ever happen for that franchise is for Deano to sell the team. And I do believe that is what this move to LA is all about. It's the only thing that makes any remote sense about this whole debacle.

We can only hope that the new owner wants to be the hero that brings the team back to SD.
              You are, I think, on the money with that analysis of Dean's intentions. But here's the rub: a potential buyer is likely most interested in buying the Bolts (esp at that price) with the intention of leveraging LA. I can't see a scenario where a buyer drops $2B only to move back to SD where there are fewer premium customers and fewer dollars.

Unless it's a SD guy that is willing to take a financial hit, I'm not seeing it.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                I should have posted my wink emoji.

I was trying to be sarcastic and failed.
                Sorry. I am just a bit concerned that we will end up separating posters between two boards, when there is plenty to talk about regardless where your allegiances lie.
                Both should be open to contrasting opinions, IMO.

I still find myself torn between Spanos hatred and years of fanhood. Perhaps there will come a time when he is forced out. Who knows how things will play out down the road.

Personally, I think it all comes down to whatever works for each of us, and I am not gonna hate on my brothers here either way. Cheers.

Time to FU this Spanoses
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
                  Word is that Ballmer is working on getting a new arena built in LA for the Clippers. It's also supposed to tie in to LA's Olympic bid. He's not moving them out of LA.
                  But the Lakers are actually the Clippers' tenant at Staples, no?

Time to FU this Spanoses
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

Spanos is more like Frank McCourt, who blundered his way to riches with other people's money and a talent for deceit.
                    Kroenke is shrewd like Sterling, and he only cares about the bottom line.
                    Enjoy that shit, LA.

Time to FU this Spanoses
                    sigpic

Comment

• FiftyFive
                      Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                      But the Lakers are actually the Clippers' tenant at Staples, no?

Time to FU this Spanoses
                      They're actually both the Kings' tenants.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

My question is this:

Even if this scenario plays out where Deano sells or is forced to sell....what compels the new owner to move to a smaller market in SD and potentially de-value his prized asset? Especially if it's not somebody with SD ties. Just for the hero's welcome?
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Wheels
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

The premise of this scenario is that it isn't working in LA, and that the Spanos' added huge debt liabilities and simultaneously pinched off cashflow by alienating their only fans. The Chargers inserted themselves into a highly competitive market for sports franchises, and removed them from a smaller market but with way less competition. So what prized market (in this scenario) are we talking about?

Comment

Working...
                          X